Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photoshop and Save For Web
Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44622
Comments: 0

Mookster is offline IP: 69.242.208.129

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've been working on some images from this last weekend, and I'm running into some issues with saving out from PScs2.
All of the images are washed out when they are saved out to Tiff, JPG, or whatever format I care to click on. I've gone through some of the great write ups and learned quite a bit about PS techniques tonight, but nothing has jumped out at me on why I'm getting these results...
If anyone can shed some light, or just club me over the head with the obvious button, I'd be much obliged. I've attached a demo of what I'm seeing in the before/after:
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mookster Find More Posts by Mookster

Re: Photoshop and Save For Web
Old 08-23-2006, 04:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41057

cozanostra is offline IP: 198.54.202.234

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I noticed that on the top image of your sample the file ends in '.orf'. I really have not heard of that file format but I suspect that is your culprit. Maybe try saving either as a tiff or jpeg before bringing it into PS.

That's the only thing I can think of because even if you had originally brought you file into PS with an Adobe RGB colorspace it would of been changed to sRGB when you saved for web.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Mookster is offline IP: 69.215.30.122

That is the Olympus Raw Format, straight from the camera. I'll give that suggestion a try, but won't I lose some of my flexibility by converting to JPG or TIFF before making changes?

If I pull the file into ACDSee Pro, using the ORF file, it pulls in fine, I can tweak in the RAW editor, and then save it out, and it looks like its supposed to, so I was at a loss on why Photoshop (where I would prefer to edit) would let me perfect it and then destroy it when I saved for web...

Thanks for the reply!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mookster Find More Posts by Mookster

Old 08-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41057

cozanostra is offline IP: 198.54.202.234

Make all your color corrections, wb and so forth in the RAW programme that you're using and save out a copy of that either as a tiif or jpeg (my personal preference is tiff). You then bring in that saved tiff/jpeg version into PS and further refine the photo if you need to. I think this is going to be your best bet, rather than working the whole thing up in PS.

You have 2 options for saving a photo for web display.

1) Save for web

2) Use the 'Save As' funtion in PS. This is a bit of a longer approach but also has the benefit of not stripping out your exif data and also to my eye seems a bit sharper. What you've got to do here is first resize the photo to the size that you want it to display on the net, check if it is in the sRGB colorspace (if not then convert the profile), then go to 'Save As' and save as a jpeg. I normally save for web usage with a size of 600 x 400 and a quality of between 7 and 10. I try to keep the size of the file around 90-100kb.

If anything is unclear, let me know.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Mookster is offline IP: 69.242.208.129

Coz,

I used your suggested work flow to edit a couple of images, and they came out much better than the junk I was getting out of PS when going in RAW, but damn if it isn't a pain in the a$$ moving between programs...

Is there any way to keep my workflow inside PS, from start to finish? I'd like to be able to pull the capture off the camera, pull it into PS, tweak the WB, levels, curves, get it the way I want and then save it out... Am I missing a checkbox somewhere in the "Save for Web" option that says "Wash out all color from the file when Saving for Web"?

Thanks for the replies and help, it is much appreciated!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster
Coz,
I used your suggested work flow to edit a couple of images, and they came out much better than the junk I was getting out of PS when going in RAW, but damn if it isn't a pain in the a$$ moving between programs...
Is there any way to keep my workflow inside PS, from start to finish? I'd like to be able to pull the capture off the camera, pull it into PS, tweak the WB, levels, curves, get it the way I want and then save it out... Am I missing a checkbox somewhere in the "Save for Web" option that says "Wash out all color from the file when Saving for Web"?
Thanks for the replies and help, it is much appreciated!
You can do all your work in PS CS2. I view the images in the Bridge part of PS CS2 and select those from a common light set, then do a RAW convert of that set. I've detailed my workflow in a tutorial that is in the Digital formum of G1. There is no need to save the images out of the RAW converter. Just make your tweaks (wb, exposure, brightness, shadows, contrast) and then press Done for the group (you can use the select all and syncronize to make all the images match the settings of a typical shot from the set). Pressing Done saves the settings. Now when you open the image in the future it will have the settings automatically applied and will open up into Photoshop ready for any edits. Normally you want to work in the 16bit mode and it is easier to just stay in sRGB color space.

However, if you are working in Adobe RGB color space, then when you use Save for Web, you images will look washed out or of a different color. Right before you do a Save for Web, just convert the color space to sRGB and then the image will look the same in Save for the Web. If you want to maintain the Adobe RGB color space, just save it before the color space switch. I save as PSD.

You can also play around with the ICC profile checkbox and the Use Document color Profile in Save for Web if you want to by pass the color space conversion.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.42.150

I have stopped using Save for Web altogether - I wasn't happy with the results.

These days I change the image size (reducing the pixel count, usually to have the larger dimension 600 pixels) and dots/inch, then reduce the Mode from 16 bits/pixel to 8 bits/pixel, then Save As... JPEG. More commands, but I can see what I'm doing along the way.

I've stopped using Adobe RGB, too - I put the image into sRGB straight from RAW. I used ProPhoto for a while, but switching colour spaces seems the perfect place to accumulate colour errors I wouldn't be surprised if it's the colour space switch that is giving your colour problems. Putting the image into sRGB when converting the RAW avoids one more source of problems. My printers seem to work just fine with sRGB (I'm using Epsons: an R2400 and an R1800).

FWIW
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Mookster is offline IP: 69.215.30.122

Damn, this site is great! It's had some growing pains, some switchover pains, and some issues, but it certainly is a font of knowledge!

Thanks much to Coz, RFS and Cat, I'll be checking this stuff out and hopefully applying it as well!

Now all I need to do is find a few more models to start getting this portfolio fleshed out!

-Mook

Old 08-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35827

ChrisKendell is offline IP: 65.165.167.60

The biggest problem I have ever had in controlling my color was when using the Adobe Colorspace. Since my Fuji S2 captures in sRGB (not Adobe) and my printer and monitor are both in the sRGB colorspace (again, not Adobe), I have found that the sRGB colorspace is perfectly capable of producing the full value of colors necessary for both print and web and so see no logical reason to use the Adobe Colorspace (unless my client requires it). I have since set my default colorspace to sRGB IEC81966-2.1 as it makes workflow much easier and requires no colorspace conversions.
Additionally, I frequently calibrate my monitor and I preview my prints and display by using the soft proofing techniques available in Photoshop prior to saving or printing my final versions. Proof Colors is available in the View Menu or by using the shortcut CNTL+Y (provided you have already set up your preferred proofing).
I hope this helps.
209-304-8594
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChrisKendell Visit ChrisKendell's homepage! Find More Posts by ChrisKendell