Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
deanne
Old 07-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 68.58.247.2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I tried something different with this photo, some times my monitors don't show me the facts...just the facts! I need to know how this looks to the real world.

Re: deanne
Old 07-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855

TomRobin is offline IP: 141.154.50.139

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,
Beauiful model, potentially good setting, but photo is severely underexposed. A simple adjustment using levels, for instance, makes a world of difference.
The other problem is the shadow on the background, Is it from an on camera flash or spotlight?
Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 12.64.84.21

I agree underexposed on my monitor also.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 07-27-2006, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRobin
Hi,
Beauiful model, potentially good setting, but photo is severely underexposed. A simple adjustment using levels, for instance, makes a world of difference.
The other problem is the shadow on the background, Is it from an on camera flash or spotlight?
Tom
Tom, the flash was off camera, I don't have a production crew to help with reflectors or fill cards so I just live with the shadows. I did move around to reduce the shadows as much as possible, but some times it becomes more work than it's worth.
This was taken at 10:44 pm. The only lights was from the little light behind her and from the apartments above her, and my flash. I liked the mood of the lighting but cutting down the flashes power caused the shutter speed to get out of sync.
The photo I posted was at +1 stop.

This one was at +2 stops, you may like it better, but it's not the mood or look I was trying to get.
I may go back and reshoot with out flash, use my 50mm/1.2 lens to see if I can get it that way.
The big problems I have been getting is pixelation and noise and some wierd color shifts. Printing from a tiff cleaned that up pretty much 100%, but you can't post a tiff. Since you didn't mention those kinds of problems can I assume I corrected that?
There were some pretty interesting shadows coming from the apartment above, but the flash totally removed them. I think if I bump up the sensetivity I may be able to get what I want from the other lens, but it may also introduce a lot of grain I don't want.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Please read the reply I just posted to Tom.
Did last Novembers tornado effect you?

Old 07-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepro
Tom, the flash was off camera, I don't have a production crew to help with reflectors or fill cards so I just live with the shadows. I did move around to reduce the shadows as much as possible, but some times it becomes more work than it's worth.
This was taken at 10:44 pm. The only lights was from the little light behind her and from the apartments above her, and my flash. I liked the mood of the lighting but cutting down the flashes power caused the shutter speed to get out of sync.
The photo I posted was at +1 stop.

This one was at +2 stops, you may like it better, but it's not the mood or look I was trying to get.
I may go back and reshoot with out flash, use my 50mm/1.2 lens to see if I can get it that way.
The big problems I have been getting is pixelation and noise and some wierd color shifts. Printing from a tiff cleaned that up pretty much 100%, but you can't post a tiff. Since you didn't mention those kinds of problems can I assume I corrected that?
There were some pretty interesting shadows coming from the apartment above, but the flash totally removed them. I think if I bump up the sensetivity I may be able to get what I want from the other lens, but it may also introduce a lot of grain I don't want.
I'm not sure I'm clear on what your are trying to say. For example what is the bit about the sync for the shot when you adjusted the flash? When you use flash to expose a scene the only time that the sync speed comes into play is in very bright ambient light. Generally, you set the fstop to give the proper exposure for the flash at its disntance from the model and strength. You just set the shutter speed to the sync speed or less. Now if you want to also include the ambient light, you lower the shutter speed for the exposure you want of the ambient light sources.

AS for the tif issue, if the photo looks right as a TIF, then when you convert it to JPG for the web it will look virtually the same (assuming you do it correctly).

AS for getting the effect you want, just put the camera on the a tripod, and set the iso to 100 and shoot the shot. You'll not have a problem with grain.

Maybe if you give more exact details on how you shot the shot, we can be more helpful.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.44.198

Hi Frank,

Nice shot, very pretty model. I think RFS is correct on the tripod and ISO 100 to get that ambient light effect it sounds like you were looking for. I only get a red X for the 1st posted shot so I can't see the +1 stop shot. What camera/flash setup did you use?

Cheers,
LSC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I know! slow to get back at ya on this.
The sync was about curtain sync, slow, rear, front etc. I just love the guys that make profound statements about exposure. I don't have a studio, it should be obvious in the pictures, I love shooting at night, you can get some great effects when you do that.
When I went slow rear curtain sync it will be a bit underexposed....about 1 1/2 stops. It's suposed to soften the shadows and bring out background detail. It worked when the girl was not too close to anything behind her. But it din't work with this photo.
I had planned to reshoot this this weekend , but a trip to 6 flags in Ga. over-rode that so maybe later on in the week. Tripod..no flash what ever it takes to ge that shot.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35827
Comments: 0

ChrisKendell is offline IP: 65.165.167.60

I know you say that you don't have assistants to hold reflectors and that... but, I have found that I can prop a reflector (tape or clamp in windy conditions) to a tripod or light stand on the shadow side of the model so that it catches the light of the flash - thus filling the shadows and softening them. Try this next time and I think you may be surprized by how easy it is to do and I think you will also be happier with the results.

Hope you find this helpful.
209-304-8594
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChrisKendell Visit ChrisKendell's homepage! Find More Posts by ChrisKendell