Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
PS Teeth Whitening
Old 06-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267
Comments: 0

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 207.118.149.74

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

All right, I freely admit that PS is my weak spot.

Shot with a new model this last weekend and got some decent poses and locations. The problem...badly stained teeth. Really badly stained. I've tried every trick that I can think of (admittedly not many) but I can't get anything even remotely close to what I want. Part of the problem...they're blotchy. Brown on top, white on the bottom. Nothing that I've tried looks natural, and I'm about at wits end.

I'm close to throwing up the white flag...all comments are appreciated!

Re: PS Teeth Whitening
Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 24.98.67.22

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

post a 100% crop of her mouth and let us try a few techniques...

Old 06-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46654

kohala is offline IP: 64.75.186.89

[quote=Carpe Imago]All right, I freely admit that PS is my weak spot.
Shot with a new model this last weekend and got some decent poses and locations. The problem...badly stained teeth. Really badly stained. I've tried every trick that I can think of (admittedly not many) but I can't get anything even remotely close to what I want. Part of the problem...they're blotchy. Brown on top, white on the bottom. Nothing that I've tried looks natural, and I'm about at wits end.
I'm close to throwing up the white flag...all comments are appreciated!

Assuming you have PSCS2 installed on your computer, I would recommend the teeth whitening technique recommended by Scott Kelby in his best-selling Pholoshop book, The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers (Chapter 10, page 300). A summary of the technique is as follows:

1. Use the lasso tool and draw a selection around the teeth;
2. Feather the selection with a 1 pixel selection;
3. Choose the hue/saturation adjustment (under the Image menu), choose yellows from the pop-up menu and drag the Saturation slider to the left to remove the yellowing;
4. Switch the edit pop-up menu back to master and drag the lightness slider to the right to whiten and brighten the teeth;
5. This technique should be applied to a layer so that if the result looks too unnatural, you can reduce the opacity of the layer.

The whole process take just a minute or two. Scott's book is available everywhere (I brought it cheap thru Amazon).

PS: I don't know Scott--I just like his book

Kohala
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kohala Find More Posts by kohala

Old 06-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.142.114

I second the suggestion about Scott's book and that teeth whitening technique. I use it all the time.

I make my selection around the teeth with the pen tool, which is absolutely positively worth learning. I owe my success with this tool to Kevin Ame's book, "The Art of Photographing Women" which is really a lot less about photography or women than it is about PhotoShop techniques. I also learned a great way to color balance "by the numbers" from his book.

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 06-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50993
Send a message via ICQ to Jay Farrell Photography

Jay Farrell Photography is offline IP: 69.245.4.99

Select the dodge tool, and select a brush almost the size of a tooth, when viewing at actual pixels of course....set exposure at around 22%, select midtones, make a steady sweep across the teeth, repeat if necessary. The larger brush makes your selection even and that percentage of exposure doesn't create a harsh white, or make it look fake....that tool works well for eyes and other things as well...

Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

There are many techniques for teeth. Those book suggestions above are good ones to work with. I find in retouching that not one way works for all teeth. I found this out when we would get a print back and the teeth would have some funky color.

Removing yellow=good idea.....but then the teeth look silver in a print.

Adding opposite tones to the yellow (blues and greens)= good idea, but then teeth come out with a weird shade of color.

I usually do it custom to each person.
-choose eyedropper and pick the teeth color
-make new 'adjustment layer:solid color'
-slide that color to the top left (a lighter tone of that same color) and click 'ok'
-change the blending mode to "Color"
-your color layer is now set and it already has a white mask on it, i suggest fillijng the mask with black then getting a white paint brush and filling in the teeth. Now once done, if it doesn't look right, it's okay b/c now you can double-click that colored layer and move the color where it looks more natural.

Seems like a long process, but it only takes me about 60 seconds to do.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 06-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 67.39.52.65

Smoking....yuck!

Seriously though, my thanks to all for the feedback. Meant to put a post up with the "not so pearly whites" and got crushed under a load of work the next day. By the time I checked back in today there was so much good insight that I'll have to try them first.

My thanks as always!