Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Light Meter Suggestions
Old 05-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What is your suggestion for buying a light meter?

Im using a Nikon D50, and Im still getting used to how a DSLR works.

JimmyD suggested the Konica-Minolta Auto-Meter Vf

Anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a specific model that would fit a newbie better?

Re: Light Meter Suggestions
Old 05-31-2006, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 70.226.87.37

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have used the sekonic meters for years. I love them. I currently own the L358. It also lets me trip my lights via a pocket wizard with the addition of a chip that goes in it.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

I've used my Sekonic for many years, and it has served me well. Accurate, rugged, and reliable. Mine is incident only, as my camera has a TTL reflected meter. Mine will either trip the lights for me (if connected via PC cord), or will "react" to a flash when you tell it to be looking. Both methods are reliable and accurate.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.141.28

If I'm not mistaken, the Minolta meter isn't made anymore but it's certainly considered to be one of the best meters.

But I do think that a terrific value in meters is the Sekonic L-358 - I have two of them (one is a backup because I depend on my meter so much, especially in the studio) and they serve me well. I also have the optional Pocket Wizard-compatible radio module in both so I can remotely trigger my lights without wires.

I think a good meter can be really very helpful to a serious photographer, but you need to ask yourself why you want/need a meter. What kind of shooting are you doing now, and what do you plan on doing in the future?

I think your choice might be different if you were doing lots of landscapes (where you might want a very narrow angle spot meter), or studio work (where your emphasis would be on a good flash meter) or more of a general use meter (in which case I favor a good incident meter).

The L-358 is both an incident and flash meter. And there is an optional spot meter attachment available for it. If I needed a spot meter though, I'd probably go with the Sekonic L-558r (the "r" means with radio module).

Hope this helps...

Eldor
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 05-31-2006, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 151.203.241.39

I have the Minolta VF and love it & recommend it. I use it mostly with studio flash.

I think Sekonic 558 is still packaging their meter with a Monaco Optix XR colorimiter at a good savings. If that had been available when I got my meter, it might be a different brand. Find info at www.sekonic.com

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 06-01-2006, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan
What is your suggestion for buying a light meter?
Im using a Nikon D50, and Im still getting used to how a DSLR works.
JimmyD suggested the Konica-Minolta Auto-Meter Vf
Anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a specific model that would fit a newbie better?
Most of the light meters mentioned will do a great job. After all they all work pretty much the same way. Its just a matter of which bells and whistles you want. I use an old Minolta meter and it works great. But I make even more use of the Black/Gray/White calibration target that I've discussed a number of times in the past. It helps you zero in to the exact exposure of a given scene. I use the meter primarily for the lighting ratios. Here is a photo of dee and the target:

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-01-2006, 06:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 69.221.235.209

I use that same target and love it. Definately worth the money to get it. And I agree, I use the meter now more for ratios then exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith
Most of the light meters mentioned will do a great job. After all they all work pretty much the same way. Its just a matter of which bells and whistles you want. I use an old Minolta meter and it works great. But I make even more use of the Black/Gray/White calibration target that I've discussed a number of times in the past. It helps you zero in to the exact exposure of a given scene. I use the meter primarily for the lighting ratios. Here is a photo of dee and the target:

Cheers,
rfs

Old 06-04-2006, 02:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.227

Every time I see that photo I want to buy that thing (er, the target, not the lovely lady ). Given that you've probably gotten tired of telling people its name and manufacturer, maybe someone else could be very kind and point us at somewhere we can buy it? Pretty please?

Old 06-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

RSStory is offline IP: 69.221.239.236

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic
Every time I see that photo I want to buy that thing (er, the target, not the lovely lady ). Given that you've probably gotten tired of telling people its name and manufacturer, maybe someone else could be very kind and point us at somewhere we can buy it? Pretty please?
Here ya go... Lots of great Photography videos as well. http://www.photovisionvideo.com/

Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.227

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory
Here ya go... Lots of great Photography videos as well. http://www.photovisionvideo.com/
Perfect, thank you!

Am I allowed to make a joke about getting information via RSS? Or is that tooooo geeky?