Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Is any one using lightroom?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35609
Comments: 0

jcochran is offline IP: 68.119.72.213

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I was wondering if anyone was using Lightroom and was it possible to edit files in both PSCS and Lightroom? The prefences pane say the xmp file are not compatible with Camera Raw. I have my PS shut up to put the raw adjustment in a sidecar xmp file and was wondering if any had trouble with this or not?

Just trying to head off possible problems.

john

Re: Is any one using lightroom?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcochran
I was wondering if anyone was using Lightroom and was it possible to edit files in both PSCS and Lightroom? The prefences pane say the xmp file are not compatible with Camera Raw. I have my PS shut up to put the raw adjustment in a sidecar xmp file and was wondering if any had trouble with this or not?
Just trying to head off possible problems.
john
I think you would get more responses if you put this in the Technical forum rather than the Digital Imaging workflow Tips and Techniques which is more of a tutorial how to do forum, whereas the Technical forum is for asking the kinds of questions you ask.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith
I think you would get more responses if you put this in the Technical forum rather than the Digital Imaging workflow Tips and Techniques which is more of a tutorial how to do forum, whereas the Technical forum is for asking the kinds of questions you ask.
Cheers,
rfs
Maybe I'll repost it, over there. I hate to think the G1 community is above answering a question just because it may be a forum where some one thinks it doesn't belong.

I figured it went here because this is the forum for Digital workflows,which both Lightroom and PS would be a part of in producing the final image.

On the main forum index, the Technical Forum, says "Photography & Technical Related Only" which I thought meant photo related techniques, ie lighting, exposures, tools to use, and other things prior to capture, and editing. Which in scanning the subject lines of the post it seems to be.

peace
john w cochran

Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

I understand what you're saying, but I had just noted that lots of people where viewing your post, but no one was answering. I know in the past there have been questions like your's and they were always in the Photography & Technical Related Only. But then again it is a gray area since in the old forum, we didn't have this digital one.
By the way, is the product still MAC only at this point?
Good luck on getting an answer.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 69.15.164.92

I use it. Its my first stage app now. Stuff gets imported from card to lightroom. I adjust exposure, white balnce, color etc there.

Then I export the images and edit them in PS. You can say edit image in PS and work on it and it stays in Lightroom, but it becomes another file. So you have two of the image in PS.

Don't know about the RAW conversion with PS because I shoot jpg in my S3.

Ron

Practical Pinup Online Workshop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Old 05-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I noticed the count but just figured everyone was staying away from BETA software, or they are not on the Mac. So far the beta is still mac only. I don't think they are going to d a windoows beta, but it will have a windows release.

I think it may also be the first universal binary release from adobe for the new intel macs, not sure but I think I read that somewhere.

I put off till the beta 2 I haven't done much with it yet, but it does have nice interface, and I believe it will be a very nice tool to work with for shoots that don't need lots of localized work. Seems a little slow, I'm on an early G5 with 768 ram.

peace
john

Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis
I use it. Its my first stage app now. Stuff gets imported from card to lightroom. I adjust exposure, white balnce, color etc there.

Then I export the images and edit them in PS. You can say edit image in PS and work on it and it stays in Lightroom, but it becomes another file. So you have two of the image in PS.

Don't know about the RAW conversion with PS because I shoot jpg in my S3.

Ron
Thanks for the reply. Why don't don't you shoot raw with the S3? I use an S2 and am thinking of getting a S3 or for my main camera and putting the S2 as my back up.

The little I've played with LR I like it, I do wish it had sectional reset in the develope module, and an option when you go to PS to edit to upres like ACR. That may be in there I only spent a few hour using it and most of that was just in library viewing, sorting, etc....

peace
john

Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49861
Send a message via MSN to Actionlens

Actionlens is offline IP: 196.46.68.85

I have tried Lightroom,but found it too slow. I have a P/Book G4 with 1.5 gig Ram, but it is very slow on there. I like the interface and some of the other stuff, but will wait some more
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Actionlens Visit Actionlens's homepage! Find More Posts by Actionlens

Old 06-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53081

rapman1959 is offline IP: 12.177.56.125

I'm on windows but, as a member of NAPP I've browsed thru the lightroom area. Lots of tutorials and I'm sure you could get yopur question answered.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/

Hope that helps
Adolfo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rapman1959 Visit rapman1959's homepage! Find More Posts by rapman1959

Old 06-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapman1959
I'm on windows but, as a member of NAPP I've browsed thru the lightroom area. Lots of tutorials and I'm sure you could get yopur question answered.
http://www.photoshopuser.com/
Hope that helps
Adolfo
I'm a NAPP member also and have done all hte tutorials. They are okay, but basic, and don't talk about the xmp file issue. Since my op I have been using light room as my main developement tool. To be save I only work on the raws file in LR and then export as a tiff or jpg depending what I'm doing and if i'm going to do any localized work on the image.

For the recent weddings I've do I really like it. I can export the images for proof prints, and web proof quickly and easily.

I'm am still playing with and learning with it though and just downloaded the beta version 3.

Thanks for reply

peace
john