Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Can someone help me make her "pop"
Old 05-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 48779
Comments: 0

Brennans_Photography is offline IP: 66.215.153.62

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Can someone help make her pop off the photo? Any help would be appreciated!
Pete
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brennans_Photography Visit Brennans_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by Brennans_Photography

Re: Can someone help me make her "pop"
Old 05-02-2006, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennans_Photography
Can someone help make her pop off the photo? Any help would be appreciated!
Pete
This would be a difficult photo to work with because the lighting ratio is basically shot from the get go. There's not enough detail in the eyes which are in dark shadow and you have the shadow problem on either side of the mouth. This is the classic example of where one needs a reflector for fill or a fill flash. Also the cropping is working against you. This would work better in portrait mode rather than landscape mode. But another problem will be that the arms just look like they are pointed out away from the body and the way its cropped you don't what they are doing, so one wonders why they are in that position. Is this the actual original photo or do you have a version that has more to work with?
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

I took it into photoshop and,...

convert to sRGB,...(it is Adobe RGB now)

bump the contrast up, bump the saturation up, sharpen in unsharpmask, then save it at the maximum level, which was around 208k

Give it a try and see what you think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 05-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48416

Brian1 is offline IP: 69.30.143.34

Try beginning with a crop to a full frame face (the head position should make such a tight crop look okay). Once you get the image cropped down, break the dodge button in PS. Set a low opacity (say 10% to 15%) and start in on the shadows. Be sure you feather the dodging brush by at least 5 pixels to the dodging blend a little easier. Once you have lightened up the shadows, switch to the burn brush and touch up any areas you may have over-dodged (again, use a low opacity and build up to your desired effect). This takes a little longer, but will yeild you better results in the long run.

Kick your resolution up to around 200 to 220 dpi if it is not already there. Adjust the curves and saturation as needed (shouldn't be much needed).

Isolate the model from the background as a selection in PS. Give her a gentle pass with the smart sharpen filter. Then isolate the eyes as a selection in PS and sharpen them a little more.

That should improve you photo into something you can print, frame and hang on your wall.

Your friend,
Brian

P.S. If this is a paying client, redo the shoot and use better lighting technique.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brian1 Find More Posts by Brian1

Old 05-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1
Try beginning with a crop to a full frame face (the head position should make such a tight crop look okay). Once you get the image cropped down, break the dodge button in PS. Set a low opacity (say 10% to 15%) and start in on the shadows. Be sure you feather the dodging brush by at least 5 pixels to the dodging blend a little easier. Once you have lightened up the shadows, switch to the burn brush and touch up any areas you may have over-dodged (again, use a low opacity and build up to your desired effect). This takes a little longer, but will yeild you better results in the long run.
Kick your resolution up to around 200 to 220 dpi if it is not already there. Adjust the curves and saturation as needed (shouldn't be much needed).
Isolate the model from the background as a selection in PS. Give her a gentle pass with the smart sharpen filter. Then isolate the eyes as a selection in PS and sharpen them a little more.
That should improve you photo into something you can print, frame and hang on your wall.
Your friend,
Brian
P.S. If this is a paying client, redo the shoot and use better lighting technique.
For the photograph in question, I don't think your methods are going to help very much. First there doesn't appear to be enough detail in the shadows to start with, so dodging will not bring out what is not there. Sharpening the eyes won't really help because there is very little detail their to sharpen. Also, it is never wise to use the dodge tool as it often does more damage than good. There are a number of better techniques which give you a lot more control (usually involving layers and layer masks, layer blending modes, and even channels). Dodge is usually reserved for just the most minor of changes, but when major work is needed the alternate methods are preferred.
I think your final PS is the correct suggestion and is what I suggested in my earlier post and that is to reshoot.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think you guys are right. I'm going to re-shoot her with better lighting!

Thanks for the input!

Pete
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brennans_Photography Visit Brennans_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by Brennans_Photography

Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48416

Brian1 is offline IP: 72.16.44.203

Okay. I am all for learning something new. Especially if it broadens my PS ability.

Your friend,
Brian
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brian1 Find More Posts by Brian1

Old 05-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Hey Brian,

Don't get me wrong, I'm still trying everything the everyone has suggested, even when it's not my question. There is a wealth of information on this site from you and all the others. So, I try to do a lot of things that I read on here with my own photos to help me learn and get better. After going back and "playing" with these, it will ba a lot easier to get her to come over and do the re-shoot.

So please, keep the tips coming. I can use all the help I can get!

Thanks again to all!

Pete

Old 05-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.37.143

If you send me the original, I'll give it a shot for you.

mjcherry (at) optonline (dot) net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 05-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Guys, Frederick knows what he's talking abou. There is no rescuing this image. It needs to be reshot.

Try the reflector and try a scrim. See which one you like better. If this were me, I would try to put her in some sort of shaded area and shoot in aperture priority at about f4. Here's a couple of examples from a senior portrait session I did yesterday.

This first photo is shot under a tree. I metered for her cheek and let everything else do what it was going to do. Shot at f4, 1/60, ISO 400, 150mm.

This second shot was done next to a building with the building casting a shadow that we put her in. I had a fill reflector to her left. Shot at f4, 100 ISO, 1/80, 195mm.

Both of these are straight out of camera, no PS.