Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The Eyes are History ...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well here's my tutorial on how one sharpens eyes in Photoshop. Here are the steps and screen shots to show how its done. This is about as easy as one can get. Later on, if there's any interest, I'll publish method two.
Step 1. Get the photo into Photoshop. Crop and do any preliminary post processing. Here is what the eyes look like at this point:

Step 2: Use Filter | Sharpen | Unsharp mask to sharpen the image however you want, but pay attention only to the eyes in the preview window. Now we are at this point in the process:

Note what I've done. I've clicked back one step in the History Palette (1) and I've placed a checkmark (2) by the step that contains the sharpening (the step after the one I've moved back to). What we have at this point is the shot without the sharpening but we've set the target of the History brush to be the step that contains the sharpening.
Step 3: Grab the history brush (see photo below) and use it to paint over the eyes and brows and anywhere else you want sharpness. Use a soft brush.
Here is what this looks like:

Compare the eyes between the first photo above and this last one.
Well that's the process. Easy wasn't it.
Now do the exact same process but in step 2 use some form of Blur and do the same thing for the face.
Here's the final photo:

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 04-19-2006 at 09:59 PM..

Re: The Eyes are History ...
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Thanks RFS, good simple tutorial.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Cool new forum
Old 04-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.84.85

Can I ask if this is basicaly the same as making a new layer and unsharpenmask it then just using the eraser to remove the original to show the sharper areas ?
( same idea I think ) or is that method 2
Are there any benefits or using the history brush?
Just asking as I have no experience using that brush but probably should learn
I rated this thread excellent , hope other pros help PS idiots like me out
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Re: Cool new forum
Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTom
Can I ask if this is basically the same as making a new layer and unsharpenmask it then just using the eraser to remove the original to show the sharper areas ?
( same idea I think ) or is that method 2
Are there any benefits or using the history brush?
Just asking as I have no experience using that brush but probably should learn
I rated this thread excellent , hope other pros help PS idiots like me out
Well, no, that is not method 2. Suppose you create a new layer and then apply unsharp mask to it. Now the whole layer is sharpened and usually oversharpened for skin, but not for eyes. But since the new layer is on top of the original, if you choose to use the eraser, then you must erase most of the layer on top to leave behind just the sharpening for the eyes. Naturally you could unlock the bottom layer, and then drag it above the new layer, and then you could just use the eraser on the eyes, to get the sharpening. But you can see that is risky since now you have no original layer and you had to do the extra step of unlocking and shuffling the layers.

But essentially you're in the ballpark with the idea of the new layer. My second method does use a new layer, but uses a quick mask. Here are the directions for that tutorial and you'll see that your idea of an eraser actually is close in concept, but you lack some control.

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/showt...556#post217556

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.84.85

Yeah .... thats what I meant , sharpen the back image and just erase the top one

told you I'm an idiot with photoshop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 04-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41249

LarryDehring is offline IP: 207.179.115.205

Thank You vary fine presentation!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryDehring Visit LarryDehring's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryDehring

Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284

icuphotography is offline IP: 68.12.209.143

I was trying to create an Action in PS to automate this to the point of using the history brush.

I could not get it to work. All I succeeded in doing was getting the USM to work on the whole image.

Not sure why. I recorded my steps as I went. Any idea what I did wrong?

I do this process regularly and it occurred to me that instead of stepping through the USM, Snapshot, delete USM, select Snapshot, select History brush; I would try an action.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to icuphotography Find More Posts by icuphotography

Old 04-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuphotography
I was trying to create an Action in PS to automate this to the point of using the history brush.
I could not get it to work. All I succeeded in doing was getting the USM to work on the whole image.
Not sure why. I recorded my steps as I went. Any idea what I did wrong?
I do this process regularly and it occurred to me that instead of stepping through the USM, Snapshot, delete USM, select Snapshot, select History brush; I would try an action.
I was able to build an action to perform the steps. I simply started recording a macro when I had the photo cropped and I was ready to do the eye sharpening pass. I first applied the unsharp mask, then I stepped back in the history palette to before that step, then I placed a check box in the small square by the sharpen step and then I stopped recording.
Now I took a fresh photo, and I ran the Macro. At the end I used the history brush to paint the eyes and it worked just fine. But I can do the whole process about as fast as with an action, so I usually wouldn't take that approach. Also keep in mind that that usually you'll want to tweak the parameters of the Unsharp mask so you have to put a pause there in the action, in any event.
Cheers,
rfs