Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How do you change skin tone?
Old 03-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723
Comments: 0

Dman65 is offline IP: 69.134.115.103

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I photographed a young lady who happens to be an African American and has dark skin. During the shoot she told me that in the final images she would really like to have more of a caramel skin tone. Please keep in mind that this was her request and not mine. As I told her, she is beautiful regardless of what color beautiful she is. At that point she told me the reasons for her request and I told her I would do what I could.

I did try overexposing by 1/3 to a full stop and did get some decent results as far as skin tone is concerned, but this brightened the backgrounds much more than I would normally like. And she also wanted some shots on a silver background. At that point overexposing was out of the question because the background would have ended up white.

What is the best method to change a dark skin tone down to a caramel complexion in post?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Re: How do you change skin tone?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.235.17.70

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Dman,

I don't know if this will help but here is a link to a process you could try. The process is done on a Caucasian girl but the same principle may work on much darker skin. In any event, good luck! I hope you can post some "before" and "after" photos for us to see. I'd like to see how you fare.

Good day sir!

Here is the link: http://www.all-things-photography.co...kin-tones.html

Mike

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 05-02-2006, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Make a duplicate layer. Use curves to lighten the skin to the tone you want. Ignore what it does to the background. Now create a layer mask while holding down the ALT key which makes the mask all black so you see the original photo as it was. Now paint with a soft white brush at 25% opacity over the skin areas and that will reveal the parts of the skin that was changed by curves. Remember white will reveal parts of the upper layer and black will conceal. If one pass of the brush on part of the skin is not enough, then make another pass. You would have to make four passes over the same area of skin to get it all the way to your curves adjustment layer. This is fairly easy and fast.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35609

jcochran is offline IP: 68.119.72.213

If you shot in raw you may just try changing the temp of the WB in PS.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcochran
If you shot in raw you may just try changing the temp of the WB in PS.
With RAW you are changing the WB for the entire image. His problem was selectively changing the skin tones of the model only, but not the whole image. RAW will work as one of the tools. You process the image twice, once for skin tones and once for overall image and then you combine them with one above the other (on a layer). Then you use a layer mask and brush on the skin tone from the good skintone one to the layer with the overall good wb.

The above is essentially the same process I mentioned earlier, but using RAW to create the layer rather than curves. Often times the method I gave earlier is easier because you are not so much dealing with color balance as you are how dark or light the skin color is. You can use curves to adjust this very easily and then selectively use the layer mask and brush to get everything in balance.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35609

jcochran is offline IP: 68.119.72.213

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith
With RAW you are changing the WB for the entire image. His problem was selectively changing the skin tones of the model only, but not the whole image. RAW will work as one of the tools. You process the image twice, once for skin tones and once for overall image and then you combine them with one above the other (on a layer). Then you use a layer mask and brush on the skin tone from the good skintone one to the layer with the overall good wb.
The above is essentially the same process I mentioned earlier, but using RAW to create the layer rather than curves. Often times the method I gave earlier is easier because you are not so much dealing with color balance as you are how dark or light the skin color is. You can use curves to adjust this very easily and then selectively use the layer mask and brush to get everything in balance.
Cheers,
rfs
First let me say, your step by step instructions are nice, and they are useful.

I assumed the OP knows some PS, I was giving him an other option and figured they could figure out the layer and masking. I generally assume people know something, and that if they don't they will ask for more details.

The wb, and tint combo could offer more tweaking of the skin color than the curve adjustment.

Sometimes finding the treasure is more fun with only part of the map!

peace
john

Old 07-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 69.29.122.96

One other way would be what I did last year to a pageant queen. I selected her face using the magnetic lasso and duplicated the layer (always work on a layer). Then I went to Image>Adjustments>Hue/saturation and clicked on the arrow next to the box on top. A drop down menu lets you pick reds, blues, etc. I started with red and lowered the saturation a little and generally just played around until I had the color I wanted. Use the lightness slider as well.
If you get more than what you were looking for, you can always lower the opacity of the layer to get the look you want before flattening the image.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 207.179.239.13

I would use RAW and export one JPG that is colored balanced and another where the skin looks the way you want it. Then put both files in the same PSD file and use a mask to
paint the good skin in.

OR

Do what Fre**** said above.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images