Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Editing Eyes Tutorial
Old 03-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.221.236.136

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I wanted to do an eye tutorial. So, here are steps I take.

Let us start with our original image. I cropped it close since all we are doing are eyes and the details may be seen.

I usually start with lightening the color part of the eye. Sometimes this is a bad thing to do, but for the tutorial I will include it.

Next I make a darker ring on the outside of the colored part. Models who natually have this are great. If they do not you can make a slight one by burning one in or drawing it on another layer. Do it as you will. No 'right' way.

Another step is to darken that eye shadow. You don't have too, but I think it looks nice.

All I did here was cleaned up the white part of the eyes.

Here I used the Unsharpen filter only on the eyes. Sharpening eyes makes them pop. Sometimes it makes them look really bad if oversharpened. (which I think they are a bit over done here, sorry, but i already uploaded the image and do't want to re-do it haha!)

The before and after.
Any questions, post or PM me. And, if you read this and use it, at LEAST leave a comment that you had.
-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Re: Editing Eyes Tutorial
Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 216.65.172.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Nice start for a tutuorial... For those that know PS it is ok, but for the beginner it would be helpful to include more detailed information. For example... In the first step you say to lighten the color part of the eyes. ok...so now tell me the steps involved in doing that. I know how to do it but there are people here that dont. Take us through all the steps involved. As it is the beginner is going to be a bit frustrated because now he or she will know that they should do something but not know how to do it.

Scott

Old 03-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory
Nice start for a tutuorial... For those that know PS it is ok, but for the beginner it would be helpful to include more detailed information. For example... In the first step you say to lighten the color part of the eyes. ok...so now tell me the steps involved in doing that. I know how to do it but there are people here that dont. Take us through all the steps involved. As it is the beginner is going to be a bit frustrated because now he or she will know that they should do something but not know how to do it.
Scott

I understand that when I wrote it. If one has questions they can simply write or PM me. Writing a dummy proof tutorial is vurtually impossible. I simply wanted to make a starter point and go from there.

I used the burn and dodge/burn tool on everything in the tutorial except for cleaning up the white in the eyes, which I used healing/clone tools for that.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 03-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 216.65.172.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscato_images
I understand that when I wrote it. If one has questions they can simply write or PM me. Writing a dummy proof tutorial is vurtually impossible. I simply wanted to make a starter point and go from there.
I used the burn and dodge/burn tool on everything in the tutorial except for cleaning up the white in the eyes, which I used healing/clone tools for that.
-joshua

In my mind...a tutorial should explain in as much detail as possible the steps involved in what you are teaching. I understand that a complete and thourough tutorial can be long and somewhat difficult to write but my point is that more details would have improved it.

I appreciate that you posted this and I did actually learn something that I have been neglecting and plan to use it. For that I thank you.

I would love to see you and others doing more tutorials like this but I think a bit more detail would be helpful. I would rather see it as much as I can in the post rather then having to PM or e-mail the writer to get more info. Understanding of course that it all cant be there and I may have to e-mail or something if I have a question but the technique you used to get the results is a vital piece of info to a beginner that should be included.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing more from you here.

Scott

Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

I'm hoping you are using a dodge and burn layer instead of the dodge and burn tools. This is much better as it gives you greater control over the final product without altering the original image. For those that don't know how to do this create a new layer and fill with 50% gray (edit>fill.contents50% gray>blending>soft light or overlay) this will create a layer that can be painted on using the brush tool set to black for burning and white for dodging. (set to around 15%opacity) I typically start with the mode set to overlay which gives a harsh but easy to see dodge and burn effect. Once this is done I switch to soft light which softens the effect. I can then adjust the opacity for even greater control.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

RSStory is offline IP: 216.65.172.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclesue
I'm hoping you are using a dodge and burn layer instead of the dodge and burn tools. This is much better as it gives you greater control over the final product without altering the original image. For those that don't know how to do this create a new layer and fill with 50% gray (edit>fill.contents50% gray>blending>soft light or overlay) this will create a layer that can be painted on using the brush tool set to black for burning and white for dodging. (set to around 15%opacity) I typically start with the mode set to overlay which gives a harsh but easy to see dodge and burn effect. Once this is done I switch to soft light which softens the effect. I can then adjust the opacity for even greater control.

Thats what I am talking about. Thank you very much. Great info and you told me exactly what I needed to know. I just used the technique and it was really a cool way to do it. thanks again.

Scott

Old 03-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

I have mentioned this before but it bears repeating.
I have been fooling around with PS for years and have purchased many books on the subject but if there is one book that I wish I could have had from the beginning it is "How to Wow. Photoshop for Photographers". Included with this book is a nifty cd with lots of actions. One of thos actions is this very thing. Dodge and Burn. but there are many others many of which I use on a reqular basis. Also in back of the book there is a URL to some sample videos all of which are loaded with info. "Feature enhancing" is particulary informative.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory
In my mind...a tutorial should explain in as much detail as possible the steps involved in what you are teaching. I understand that a complete and thourough tutorial can be long and somewhat difficult to write but my point is that more details would have improved it.
Right you are. Maybe it's because I reeeeeeeeeeally dislike long tutorials that take 39 steps to do a 4 step process. Sort of like showing your math work I guess. I was simply being lazy.

I should have at least explained a dodge/burn layer. (thank you cclesue)

Old 03-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35288
Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Rich is offline IP: 24.73.138.23

Good simple techniques on the eyes. I like the idea of a little darkened border around the iris. But, on your example, the bottom of the iris is behind the lower eyelid and you deformed the iris by not stopping your border where it would normally be hidden by the lid.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Rich Visit Rich's homepage! Find More Posts by Rich

Old 03-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Good simple techniques on the eyes. I like the idea of a little darkened border around the iris. But, on your example, the bottom of the iris is behind the lower eyelid and you deformed the iris by not stopping your border where it would normally be hidden by the lid.
I find it to feel better if the dark line is there when the ring of the eye is not. All preference. I will keep an eye on that. I hate to stray from what what was natural, but you did in fact find one of my little artistic quirps

-joshua