Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Soft, warm and fuzzy technique
Old 07-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 24.178.196.192

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

One of the effects I've decided that I really like is what I'm calling the "Soft, Warm and Fuzzy", an effect which is easily applied to an image in Photoshop. I can't take sole credit for this since it's the result of seeing how other folks do different things and playing with modifications of their work, so feel free to claim this or any variation you come up with as your very own!

Other editing programs may work as well, I just don't know anything about them, so if you're using Paint Shop Pro or similar, your mileage may vary.

Start with an image that's pretty clean and crisp. Soft, in this case, doesn't mean 'out of focus'.

This was lit with a single monolight pointed at her head and shoulders from the rear, camera right. The light passed by her and was reflected right back into her face from a large gold reflector placed just out of the viewfinder on camera left. This is one of the reflectors that Jeff Black sells on his website, and works like a champ.

Jeff Black's silver/gold stand-alone reflectors

Duplicate the layer (Control-J or Command-J or whatever way you want to do it) and apply Guassian Blur to the image. At this step I'm wanting to create a large blurred effect, so I use a radius of 30 pixels.

Now, reduce the Opacity of that layer anywhere from 25% to 50%. Depending on the image, I'm usually finding that 30-35% works well with 'Soft, Warm and Fuzzy'... less if I'm looking for less of a "glow" effect.

This one is set to 35%:

Now, on the duplicate layer only... Adjust the contrast of the image to where you begin to get a bit of blooming (IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST )... I usually wind up punching up the contrast 15-25%. More begins to clip the image's colors too much, less doesn't show much of an effect. Find what works with you.

Then, while you still have the BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST action up, play with the brightness... sometimes, an image will look better with the brightness brought up a few percentage, sometimes it's better brought down for a darker, moodier look. That's the cool thing about Photoshop... if ya don't like it, UNDO it!

I like the sharp features of the face, eyes, etc. to still be sharp while having a bit of glow around it. DIFFUSE GLOW doesn't produce the same effect I'm looking for, which is similar to what I got when I used to expose monochrome (that's black and white to most everyone) paper through a stretched nylon to get a black outline around strong edges in a B&W print, only this time it's in color and it's a lighter color. OK, well, maybe it's not the same after all! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Now, at this stage, you can also try a little bit of DIFFUSE GLOW on another duplicate layer. Sometimes it works well, sometimes less so. I added just the tiniest bit of glow to the image. You can also alter the technique, with resulting slightly different results, by adding the DIFFUSE GLOW before punching up the contrast. Again, experiment and make this work for YOU!

And, after adding the obligitory copyright mark, here's the finished product:

I've used this for a couple of budoir customers and they really seem to appreciate not only the soft effects but also the added warmth to the image. While it's not something you'll see in Maxim or FHM, it might work into your arsenal of shooting/post production techniques.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Re: Soft, warm and fuzzy technique
Old 07-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 72.16.97.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Thanks for sharing your workflow!

regards

mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38949

imac is offline IP: 203.40.234.142

Thanks for sharing Wayne...
regards

Ian
  View Public Profile Send a private message to imac Visit imac's homepage! Find More Posts by imac

Old 07-23-2005, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 67.187.34.183

Nice instructions Wayne. Beautiful model. We need to do another lunch next week and share a few more Photoshop techniques. I just bought CS2 and could use a few more tips.

I used your "Soft, warm and fuzzy" technique to slightly soften this shot of Britany. Also used the Gaussian Blur to change the DOF.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 07-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Can we do lunch next week? Mon, Tuesday or Wednesday? I've gotta be in Corpus Christi all this week, darn it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Looks like the technique worked as desired, Marty.. that's a hot shot!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 08-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37345

NeilCowley is offline IP: 24.169.106.241

Try this an an alternative if you want to keep your shadows sharp - such as eyelashes etc.
1. hold your apple key and clickon your red channel to load a selection, move back to RGB
2. Copy and paste on new layer (apple +J)
3. Blur to taste

This method won't pollute the shadow zones as heavily. And instead of changing the opacity, change the mode to lighten, overlay or soft light if you really want to keep them clean and differing effects.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to NeilCowley Visit NeilCowley's homepage! Find More Posts by NeilCowley

Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Uh.... what's an "apple" key?

Is that some sort of fruity computer thing?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2005, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41611

jchase is offline IP: 68.67.89.132

Thanks...always wanted to know how that was done...I'm new to PS....KEEP the tips coming for us newbies.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jchase Find More Posts by jchase