Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
how to remove strong tungsten lighting?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42503
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to insanepinoy

insanepinoy is offline IP: 67.127.184.189

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I did a shoot last night and after the sun set I was forced to find a spot with enough light.. so i ended up at my old high school (ironic) im shooting at the the back of the gym and they have these strong tungsten lighting there. i take a test shot and look at the LCD and it looked ok.. but when i uploaded to PC it came out bad. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] i shot like half of the shoot there!

anyways, does anyone know how to save these pics or should i just drag and drop to trash can? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i did some tweakin in PS but im still not satisfied.. heres one orginal and the other PSed. does it work? by the way.. this was my first shoot!! ill post the others later.

PSed image

Original image
  View Public Profile Send a private message to insanepinoy Visit insanepinoy's homepage! Find More Posts by insanepinoy

Re: how to remove strong tungsten lighting?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just Guessing here..because I dont really know for sure...White Balance Issue?
mmmmm....maybe a bit of sharpening on top of what you've already done.
Im interested to see what the pros have to say...Thanks for Posting this!
Don.

Old 05-27-2005, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Better? or Worse?
Don

Old 05-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 70.114.225.153

I can be fixed but it would take multiple passes probably using Photo Filters and Levels or Curves in Photoshop. If it doesn't have to be a color image, consider making it black and white.

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Old 05-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

Its not really tungsten lighting. It's most likely a mercury or sodium vapor, which produces a slightly different cast on the image than tungsten does. The source is not a big deal because a color cast can be a problem regardless of the specific type of lighting, but your auto white balance won't compensate for it exactly right if its set on tungsten.

I would accept some color cast because of the setting. To get rid of the cast you would have to do some fancy filtering work or use a source of light that you could control, for example a flash to just light the subject, but use a slow shutter speed to capture the environment. I don't know what kind of camera you have and how much control over the flash and shutter speed you have though.

I'm no expert on this, but I would get some more specifics about what Don did and go with that look. Good luck.

Alan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 05-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

hey don, yes white balance issue.. this looks ok.. i did similar to the other images.. i forgot to sharpen this one.. thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to insanepinoy Visit insanepinoy's homepage! Find More Posts by insanepinoy

Old 05-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
I can be fixed but it would take multiple passes probably using Photo Filters and Levels or Curves in Photoshop. If it doesn't have to be a color image, consider making it black and white.

Israel

[/ QUOTE ]

Israel.. i have considered B/W and have a few already converted hehe.. but i was hoping to somehow do some PSing to get the color cast out.. thanks

Old 05-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]

I would accept some color cast because of the setting. To get rid of the cast you would have to do some fancy filtering work or use a source of light that you could control, for example a flash to just light the subject, but use a slow shutter speed to capture the environment. I don't know what kind of camera you have and how much control over the flash and shutter speed you have though.

Alan

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually goofed on the white balance setting. I dont remember from the top of my head but it was manually set. It looked ok on the LCD though.. i think.. i was rushing myself with the shoot too. i didnt take the time to adjust accordingly as you can see.. *smacks myself in the head* anyways, this was shot with a canon 10d. and my first shoot with a model. i took some before the sunset though..

To prevent this in the future...
Old 05-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

If you want to get gid of the color cast, and if you have some extra cash to invest in your equipment, I suggest getting a speedlight. It's going to cost you some money, but I think once you start to see the results you'll realize the worth of the investment.

I have a speedlight with an umbrella which could be an asset for a shot like this. The light, umbrella, cord, mounting bracket, and tripod are expensive, but you can light the model independently from the metal vapor lights overhead in your shots. You'll probably need a light meter as well, but it might work on TTL with the umbrella--I'm not sure becuase I always use manual flash.

With this setup you can slow the shutter and "drag" it to expose the background and use the aperture and speedlight to light the subject. Because the model would be exposed by flash, she would look normal, but the background would have the warm and interesting orange glow.

Of course, you can always get the Hensel Porty like I plan to if you really want to burn some money.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 05-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43319

kwik67 is offline IP: 207.105.197.130

if you can try shooting raw, you will have alot more control over the image with setting the color temp and the white balance AFTER you have already taken the shoot. Then bring it into photoshop for some minor touch-ups.

The swimwear shoots I did last weekend would never had turned out as nice if it wasn't for shooting raw. I wasn't a believer of RAW up until this week.

good luck and keep shooting.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kwik67 Find More Posts by kwik67