Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Anyone care to give a quick PS tip...?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.238.176.54

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First of all, does this crop work or have possibilities?? If it does, would a crop more toward the center of the nose and lips improve the crop??

I am also trying to preserve the color of the eye in a seperate layer, convert the original to greyscale (already done here) and then place the layer with the blue eye over the greyscaled image...basically, have a B&W image with the blue eye...

Is this a simple technique or to complex to detail here?? I have seen others post with this technique and I thought I would try, but my limited knowledge has me at a standstill.

Comments or "help" appreciated...

View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: Anyone care to give a quick PS tip...?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.202

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Very easy, actually. Open original color image and tone as normal. Duplicate layer and the Desaturate to it (either under Adjust option or Hues or whatever your pleasure. Retone top B/W layer and then cut out eyes (either with Eraser, Pen Tool, Snap Lasso or whater). Merge and then ooh and ahh. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 02-17-2005, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.202

Oops, crop is okay but I'd lose some of its height and keep the porportions closer to the conventional norm. That would also highlight her face, which is quite lovely. My take anyway.

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 02-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.238.176.54

Dave, Thanks for the help, I tried your tip and I think did OK for a first try...your thoughts...

On the crop, are you suggesting to crop above the breast to bring focus to face or resize in original form and widen shot to reduce the appearance of the height...hope I made my question clear [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Hint to the wise. . .
Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.172.248.161

A. Never do anything to a layer when a mask will do it better and safer and leave the layer undamaged in case you change your mind. . . and you will change your mind!
B. I'm betting the color of the eye is not exactly right. If not be prepared to add a Hue and Saturation adjustment layer grouped to the color layer. Tinker with the Hue slider to restore the color.
C. Crop higher so that the eye is framed by the hair and more of the forehead as it is the target of interest As it is the eye is too close to the edge.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 02-17-2005, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

hicspix is offline IP: 64.12.116.202

Got an "X" for an image here but saw it via your portfolio. Looks good, although I prefer sticking to just the iris area as opposed to changing the eye's white area to color too. And on crop, as the other poster noted, I also think that cropping above the breast will bring the impact to the face and eye better. He makes a good suggestion on going the quick mask route as well, but as long as you save the worked on file with layers intact you are perfectly safe either way.

Glad to help,
Dave

Old 02-17-2005, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.62.255

the crop doesn't work for me, bobby.

as a rule, i'm not the biggest supporter of "rules." but when it comes to composition, the "rule of thirds" is one that i, for the most part, subscribe to.

Basic Rule of Thirds

Another "Rule of Thirds" Explanation
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 66.194.91.242

Thanks Mike and Carlos...I appreciate the feedback and the insight

Old 02-17-2005, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 66.194.91.242

What I wanted to hear...cuz it doesn't really for me either. Here is my mind running around in circles. Lets say you have a shoot and you have a few images that are so so...focus is good, lighting is good, framed well yada yada...BUT it just doesn't grab you...

Do you (speaking to the more seasoned vets)try and CREATE, IMPROVISE,REJUVINATE...whatever your choice of words...by utilizing the tools such as PS and trying different techniques to "salvage" a so so shot OR... do you know before pressing the shutter button, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT.

When I shoot, I am not having to trash many shots due to focus or lighting, but many just don't "grab me", but since I am not a pro...YET...I will have more images than a vet that need enhancement, so just wondering if you experience the same or similar..

Old 02-17-2005, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.62.255

i find that, right after a shoot, very few of the images grab me, jump out, whatever; not so much for technical reasons, but rather, for aesthetic reasons. usually (and hopefully), there's a few that do, but the rest simply don't, IMO, cut it. invariably, the pics that do grab me are almost always images that require less enhancement, etc.

quite often, however, i go back to these images days, weeks, or even months later and suddenly i find a few that have real potential that i initially overlooked. these are often images that do require enhancement--not so much to correct technical issues, but to give the image a different "feel." and sometimes, of these new-found images, i end up deciding--after whatever enhancement i choose to apply--that they're the best of the series.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd