Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Perfect Skin... how do you do it?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36037
Comments: 0

objektiv is offline IP: 68.84.118.132

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm still unable. The techniques I use include use of the patch tool, ocasional healing brush, selective gaussian blur just on the skin, and sometimes I use the soft focus action in the cannon action set (not sure if anyone has that or is familiar). Also learned hackman's (I think) technique of only gaussian bluring the red channel for skin but I haven't had alot success on that for really bad skin. I'm still unable to get flawless looking skin. Besides all this there's still the problem of ending up with something that looks "fake" and equally important is how do you get it done in a reasonable amount of time with consistancy. There are a number of guys out there that I have seen take a model with absolutely horendous skin and end up with an image fit for any magazine. I don't want to offend anyone by posting before & afters but all I can say is as I already mentioned I've seen the worst quality skin turned into something flawless. How?

View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv

Re: Perfect Skin... how do you do it?
Old 01-17-2005, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360

Clint is offline IP: 24.116.99.225

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

check out Jeff Blacks' tutorial ...it is not free but it is cheap.

www.pictures4fun.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Old 01-17-2005, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35463

Pistol is offline IP: 220.244.224.41

One thing that i have discovered recently is that if you gel your light to approximate a tungsten light (or use a gold umbella) and then adjust your white balance to bring the colour back to what is correct, or a bit warm if you wish, then you will minimise a lot of the imperfections. A combination of spray tan, make-up, warm lighting and photoshop should get you some pretty good skin. For make-up I have used a mixture of moisturiser and facial bronzer and applied it all over. Of course you need a special relationship with your model if you are doing this! Here is an example of what I have done with less than perfect skin.

View Public Profile Find More Posts by Pistol

Old 01-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35463

Pistol is offline IP: 220.244.224.41

Oh, and become familar with Robert Biggerstaff's smoothing technique. http://www.robertbiggerstaff.com/skin.htm
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by Pistol

Old 01-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.192.5

To achieve that perfect skin look, start with a flawless model. If you can't afford one (or one doesn;t exist in your market), hire a good makeup artist. Sure, you can repair a lot of damaged skin in Photoshop, but why not start with a model that's close to perfect?

So, let say you're like most of us -- you don't have a perfect model and can't afford a makeup artist. What now? Follow the advice posted in this thread. The "before and after" image below shows Tiffany, one of my favorite models (forgive me Tiff). I used all the techniques listed in this thread
-- pumped up the contrast and saturation
-- used Gaussian blur and Diffuse Glow on her skin
-- used the Dodge Tool to brighten the jewelry
-- used the Image/Adjustments/Hue-Saturation to whiten the eyes & teeth
(I decreased the saturation of the red and yellow channel before increasing the brightness of the overall white)
-- used the Color Balance to make her iris more blue
-- used the Cloned brush to add more hair to cover her right arm
-- use thed Clone brush and Healing brush on her cheeks to smooth out the skin

All that said ... it helps to have some artistic talents.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Simple...
Old 01-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35623

bscott3125 is offline IP: 68.94.151.247

Take a model, add some "GOOD" lighting, hire a make-up artist and there you go. Not only do you have great skin, but also a great shot!

View Public Profile Send a private message to bscott3125 Visit bscott3125's homepage! Find More Posts by bscott3125

Granted perfect model & MUA is ideal but..
Old 01-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

objektiv is offline IP: 151.199.229.72

I still want to know how this is done. Lighting & makeup still can't hide everything even under the most ideal circumstances. I am still amazed at the before & after that is possible..

View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv

Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

objektiv is offline IP: 151.199.229.72

How do you use the diffuse glow on skin, and what settings do you use? If I remember right there are three sliders: glow, grain, and clear (whatever that means).

Your after photo looks EXACTLY like what I'm looking for with the skin only this model looks to have great skin already. How do you do it when the skin is a disaster?

Old 01-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.192.5

Diffuse Glow is a tricky tool and I'm sure there are many ways to use it. Here's my way: First, make a duplicate layer of the model. Now (very important) set your foreground color to black and your background color to white (later you can play with other colors, but this lets you see how Diffuse Glow works). Open Diffuse Glow and set your Graininess to zero. Start with the Glow Amount at 10 and slide the Clear Amount until it looks "interesting." Then slide the Glow Amount until the glow smoothes out her skin. At this point it will look very bright and washed out -- don't worry, we'll fix that in a minute. Now click on OK. At this point, change the layer Opacity or Fill on your Glow layer to about 30% and watch what happens. You can also add some Gaussian Blur to your Glow layer (or for more control to another layer) and blend them both for the desired effect.

As for the "Graininess" slider ... I found that when I'm doing an image in B&W it looks more "film-like" if I add some graininess to the Glow. The image below shows the Glow feature with some Graininess. We were going for the old Hollywood look.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 01-18-2005, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35855

roninsps is offline IP: 69.11.175.131

I commonly use the special "wish tool" in photoshop. Works wonderfully. First, go to layers, new adjustment layer, OH MY GOD, and wish tool. there you have it. It is extremely effective, yet non selective. Just hit CTRL A and apply to the entire selection. Then flatten layer and save. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Steven W. Choi
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roninsps Visit roninsps's homepage! Find More Posts by roninsps