Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Photo Gallery Showcase & Mingle > Commercial & Advertising

Commercial & Advertising Let's see what you got!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Bombay, SB800 and a fog machine
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40740
Comments: 0

mhsoftail is offline IP: 71.207.125.241

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I photographed these images with 3 SB800. 1 on each side of the set up in soft boxes, with blue gels. the 3rd light has above and had a snoot aimed right at the bottle. two if the images I used my 85mm prime lens, the third image I used my lens baby 3G. the smoke in the back o fthe bottle was from my fog mahine to camera left.

View Public Profile Send a private message to mhsoftail Visit mhsoftail's homepage! Find More Posts by mhsoftail

Re: Bombay, SB800 and a fog machine
Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 24.2.16.5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is my opinion.

1. I'm not a big fan of Lensbaby images so I don't like #1. As I product shot, the word "Bombay" is slightly out of focus but should be the sharpest part of the image.

2. My favorite. The fog enhances the image but the glass, without its entire base for reference of design, is distracting. I looks to me like it's leaning.

3. Now that the glass has a reference for its curved shape the image comes together but the fog, because it's concentrated over the glass, is now distracting. I also see the shadow of the bottle in the background.

Rick D.

Rule 10

Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

Please let me say up front that you likely were just trying out different stuff and I understand that.

I used to work at an ad agency here in Chicago (on Philip Morris). So, I have a bit of experience in working with product photographers from the agency side. From that perspective I'll offer my thoughts...other agencies may disagree

#1: The brand is blurry -- that kills any product shot immediately. I can also tell you that "sin" product advertisers think very carefully about how the image communicates their product. A blurry photo of alcohol isn't likely to be requested by the director as an obvious interpretation is that the viewer has had too much. Think about most ads you see. They have words like "drink responsibly" and "don't drink and drive" .. that doesn't work well with a blurry image.

#2: This shot emphasizes the label the most of the 3 -- a requirement for a product shot. Unfortunately, there is a distracting shadow of the orange peel that overlaps the first B in Bombay. That would kill this shot. Your angle created a leaning look to the glass. (Notice how the stem does not look straight). That could be corrected by stretching the image -- but wouldn't be as much of an issue if your angle was lower.

$3: This image has the best angle and because it shows a complete scene is perhaps the most pleasing. The fog provides a nice icy feeling to the image, but could be interpreted as being in an environment with a lot of smoking. Overall, this is the best looking image of the 3. However, it too suffers from the shadow on the "B" in Bombay. Ideally, the label should be clearer as well. The orange peel is a bit blown -- looking more like a lemon peel than it does in shot #2. Finally, you will rarely see shots from above a bottled product. Just like shooting a model, it creates too dramatic of an effect -- and it weakens the subject.

Product shots are first about the brand identity. You nailed the "blue" look. You also created a pleasing scene that's simple, relevant and has an interesting a-peel. (Sorry, couldn't resist).
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40740

mhsoftail is offline IP: 71.207.125.241

Thank you for all of your comments. I will re-shoot the subject and keep all of your points in mind! I think with a little photoshop I can clean up the orange peel shadow. I'll replace the bury "Bombay" with a much sharper one.

This was my very first attemps at table top photography. I have always love looking at it and now want to do more of it.

Thanks again!
Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhsoftail Visit mhsoftail's homepage! Find More Posts by mhsoftail