Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Photo Gallery Showcase & Mingle > Commercial & Advertising

Commercial & Advertising Let's see what you got!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Liquor Ad (not glam!)
Old 11-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.223.199.208

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

Geez, it's been over a month since I've posted anything new, but I've got a lot of new stuff to post. School's been keeping me WAY busy. Here's a shot I did for a mock liquor ad:

We had to find props and almost make kind of a mini set for it, so since I was doing Cap Morgan: Private Stock, I found some replica doubloons and a pirate's cutlass (here you only see the tip of it). The "table top" was some 2x6 pieces that I stained, and the map-looking-thing rolled up in the background was some hand-made paper (not by me ) that I crumpled up and dipped in tea for a while to turn it more brown.

For anyone interested, this was shot with a Contax 645, 120mm macro lens, on Kodak tungsten-balanced film. Just one tungsten light was used to light the whole thing (in this case, the modeling light from one of my strobes), and mirrors were used to reflect light back wherever it needed it. Reflective material was cut into the shape of the glass and the bottle, placed directly behind each of them, to give them each more of a glow. Oh, and the text I added at the bottom, some of the thinnest parts of the letters get lost a little bit here, but it prints okay.

Anyways, lemme know what y'all think -- it's for a grade!!!

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Liquor Ad (not glam!)
Old 11-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35616
Comments: 0

trainstation is offline IP: 69.130.54.210

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Mr Beasley, I begin this reply with the disclaimer I always use that I am far from an expert. The following observations are solely personal opinion not from expert knowledge of the subject. The overall image is a winner. I would give you an A on it. There is three things I would circle with red and question. First the cutlass I guess that is the black thing in the image, to me it adds nothing to the image and serves as a distraction. Second the doubloons, I guess that is what it is, (I have never been a pirate) are out of focus in the forground. I would move the large (doubloon)? at the end of the cutlass closer to the bottle and completly remove the (cutlass)? and use that area to put in the text in a larger font. Now again that is not a professional opinion
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trainstation Find More Posts by trainstation

Old 11-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.180

Cool concept! If I still drank alcohol, I'd be sold on Captain Morgan!

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 11-18-2006, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54528

Absolutley Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

Hummm,
I happen to like the layout. I also think the focal blur is placed (with PS I assume) nicely and the cutlass (?) coupled with the blur forces/draws the eye to the liquid of stupidity the ale of courage the bottle for the lack of a better or in this case a worst word.

But (there is always a but) the glass or ice looks gritty, like it has coffee grounds in it or something. So on that note I think ill stick with my Grey Goose.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Absolutley Digital Find More Posts by Absolutley Digital

Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.154.175.82

I like it a lot
BUT ... now that I read the other posts , I can see the 'grit' in the glass
AND maybe the cutlass is to dark ( not a clean edge on the blade either ? )

Most places I go to drink are dark anyway

Old 11-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.55.208

Hey everybody, thank you all for the replies!

trainstation and Stan -- Yeah, it seems like based on what you and others have told me, the tip of the cutlass blade is more of a distraction than anything... The idea (like Absolutely Digital noticed) was to have it visually pointing at the bottle to draw your eye there, but I guess overall it takes away more than it helps? Oh well, it's a good thing I can screw up in school, 'cause once school's over, I won't really be afforded that luxury. Thanks for pointing it out guys.

trainstation -- The idea behind having the text the size it is was to not visually compete with the label of the bottle, but I see what you're saying, and it never hurts to try!

JW -- Thank you!

Absolutely Digital -- Actually all the blur you see here was done in camera. I actually had to sharpen some places to bring them back out (the illustration of the captain, on the left in the label -- notice how the text underneath it is completely blurred out). Oh, and I see what you and Stan are saying about the grit in the glass. I have no idea what that is, but that shouldn't be too hard to remove.

Again, thanks everybody for the comments, it really helps!

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley