View Single Post
Re: Hobbyists--Are you a photographer?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
jford
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 68.232.210.18

I used to be a photographer. An amateur, got paid a couple of times (wampum beads, as I recall). I loved to draw and photography was a lot easier and a perfect blend of technology and creativity - back when I did all my own b/w work, and even color briefly. I like digital, but it just isn't the same somehow.
I keep telling myself I'll start shooting again, but life keeps getting in the way...grant proposals, reviews, papers to grade, classes to prepare, personal issues ad nauseum.
I don't regret not trying to be a professional photographer. I do love (most of) what I do to earn money, and I'm pretty good at it, at least sometimes. But the creativity of what I do professionally isn't the same as the creativity of photography, and that I miss.
I've looked at a lot of photos and have learned a little bit, I think, about photography. So I keep coming and try to offer encouragement. It's still a thrill to see someone's rendition of a beautiful woman in a way I didn't expect. And, as you say, "... pretty girls are…well you know."

Sorry, no photos on line right now.